About Us - Learner Success
NWSS School Learning Plan
Our 2017-2018 school learning plan, Improving Engagement, outlines the priorities our staff have set out for our school. Social, academic and intellectual engagement are our priority areas of focus.
This is building upon the 2016-2017 plan, Improving the Individual User Experience, Each Learner at a Time.
The Canadian Education Association (CEA) describes engagement as the extent to which students:
- identify with and love being at school,
- have a sense of belonging,
- participate in academic and non-academic activities,
- strive to meet the formal requirements of schooling, and, perhaps more importantly,
- make a serious personal investment in learning
At New Westminster Secondary School, we value a strength-based approach to learning and we believe that relationships are foundational to engagement with school and to all learning experiences.
Friesen, S. Exploring student engagement: what did you do in school today? CEA-ACE, Galileo, Learning Bar.